Saturday, June 28, 2008

Just a Big Kid at Heart

I had orchestra practice today for our Fourth of July program that we are doing at our church tomorrow night. I was only gone three and a half hours.

This is what I came home to:



A grin slowly appeared on my face as images of my own childhood played in my head. My sister and I used to do the same thing....except with bed sheets instead of blankets. Awww, you made a tent for Emmerson?! How sweet is that!! I thought. Obviously he had built many of those when he was younger. Except I bet you a million dollars that he pretended he was in an airplane cockpit. Whatever it was, he probably had just as much fun (or more) as we making tents and wanted to introduce her to letting her imagination run wild.

You see, Saturday mornings have become a traditonal "Daddy/Daughter Day" in our house. Steve takes Emmerson to one of our local eateries for breakfast while I get to sleep in a little. It gives me time to myself and also for them to have special bonding time with each other.

I LOVE that they do that.

Their plan today was to go eat breakfast and then go back to the house, play, and hang out until I got home and Emmerson woke up from her nap. I called Steve on on my way home and asked him what they did while I was gone.

"Oh, we went and had breakfast. Then we came home, played a little bit, and watched Sesame Street. We played outside and then ate lunch. Played some more. And now she's taking her nap."

He left out the part about making a tent. I guess he wanted to see what I'd think of it.

I went into the bedroom where he was folding laundry. "You made a tent?" I said laughing. "Yep, and she loved it. We watched a little Sesame Street in there...until her ADD kicked in five seconds later. She would crawl up on the ottoman and then fall down into the pillows."

I went and checked the camera. I hoped he took pictures. He did. And he got video too! What a genius!


I'm glad they got to spend time together. From the looks of it, it seems they had loads of fun today playing in the tent. Man! Why didn't I think of that?!

I guess he's the bigger kid at heart.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Love it!! What a fun daddy...she is so blessed to have him! (and so are you - with that whole Daddy/daughter-let-mommy-sleep-in-thing...awesome!!

You are not disappointing with your new blog!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Love your pic at the beach. How about taking me out to lunch sometime? :)
P

Cindy Kraft said...

He is for SURE the bigger kid at heart! I'm sure that tent was for Steve & not Emmerson. LOL Looks like lots of fun.